Kate is an expert investigator and mediator, specialising in management of workplace conflict and bullying and harassment, with private and public sector experience. Kate has worked in both the Commonwealth and State public sectors, specialising in Learning and Development, Human Resource Management and Employee Relations. Kate was also responsible for the successful creation of a Service Centre servicing more than 3000 employees. Since working as a consultant, Kate has consulted on & successfully delivered a wide range of project outcomes for a diverse range of public sector, local government and non-government organisations. Kate has developed procedure manuals for the implementation of complex, legislatively based conduct and performance guidelines; conducted numerous grievance and disciplinary investigations – particularly those involving bullying and/or harassment; workplace and management reviews; facilitated tailored 360 degree feedback processes and organisational climate surveys; and provided training for over 1000 staff and managers in code of conduct, bullying, harassment and performance management.
RECENT INVESTIGATION EXAMPLES
- Preliminary Investigation into complaints of bullying and harassment; conflict of interest; poor management practices; poor recruitment and selection practices; possible corrupt conduct; and poor general management practices. This investigation focused on the CEO, the Deputy CEO and raised issues in relation to Board members.
- Preliminary Investigation into complaints made by a member of the public who had direct dealings with multiple employees/managers across various levels of the organisation. The complaints included systemic discrimination and harassment; corrupt procurement practices; and, maladministration.
- Preliminary Investigation: Eight subjects of investigation. Most were the subject of allegations about failure to respond to complaints. One was subject of more than 200 allegations covering a wide range of possible code of conduct breaches.
- Preliminary Investigation: Three initial complainants alleging persistent bullying and harassment by a Senior Officer. Identified in excess of 100 particulars for disciplinary investigation.
- Disciplinary Investigation: Investigation into allegations involving false petty cash claims for telephone and mileage expenses. The investigation focused on the employee and the supervisor in a regional location.
- Disciplinary Investigation into allegations involving falsification of timesheets, attendance records and leave records; and receiving payment for hours not worked. The investigation focused a mid-level employee.
- Disciplinary Investigation into allegations a Head Teacher bullied and harassed a student/staff member.
- Grievance Investigation: Executive member alleging persistent bullying and harassment; possible corrupt conduct and poor management practices by CEO and Board Chairman.
- Grievance Investigation into complaints of bullying and harassment; and, corrupt procurement practices. The investigation focused on a Senior Manager who reported directly to the CEO.
- Grievance Investigation into complaints of bullying and harassment; and, extensive examples of maladministration. The investigation focused on a Senior Manager who reported directly to the CEO.
OTHER RELEVANT PROJECTS
- Workplace Review: In response to a large number of formal and informal grievances/complaints, a wide ranging review of a small, isolated workplace located in regional NSW was implemented. Recommendations focused on the poor team management; dysfunctional workplace culture and respect habits; and, structural misalignments.
- Workplace Review: In response to a large number of informal concerns/complaints, a wide ranging review of a small, isolated workplace located in Sydney was implemented. Recommendations focused on workplace isolation; systemic issues such as structure, job design, business processes, customer service; and, dysfunctional cultural/relationship habits.
- Grievance Mediation: Mediated outcomes of two grievances involving two senior officers and an administration assistant.
- Coaching to improve interpersonal skills generally and the direct relationship between a manager and staff member. This was conducted using face to face and telephone coaching as participants were in a regional location.
- Executive Coaching to improve interpersonal and management skills in response to staff concerns about bullying by an executive member of an organisation.
- Training: Developed and delivered workplace behaviour and conduct training for approximately 1600 staff and managers in a single organisation. The focus of the training was code of conduct, bullying, harassment, discrimination and related conflictmanagement/communication techniques.
- Audit: Grievance and Disciplinary processes and procedures for an organization of just under 7000 employees.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATION
- Master of Education (Adult)
- Graduate Certificate (Adult Ed – Training)
- Bachelor of Arts
- Certificate IV Government (Investigation)
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Conflict Coach